Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I am about half finished reading this novel, and not sure if I will continue...I began this book because I found out there was a NovelTalk about it this month, and since Kyle is now home from Afghanistan, I thought I could tolerate it...

But, alas, it appears I was wrong...I don't like the Afghani people, and reading this book makes me dislike them even more !!!  

Everything that I've heard or read or noticed about the people of Afghanistan seems to imply that as a group they are ignorant and uncaring...

Even in this novel, in the scene where the protagonist's "brother" is being brutally raped by a gang of well-known neighborhood boys, the protagonist pretends he doesn't see, and runs and hides, and cares only about his own welfare...I write "brother" in quotation marks because the "brother" is in fact the protagonist's half-brother, whom the father refuses to acknowledge and after he was conceived the woman was forced to marry the father's servant, and the "brother" was raised as a servant...

I had a patient from Afghanistan, and the whole family was the most uncaring, self-centered group of people I had ever met...

No comments:

Post a Comment