Right now on my Kindle I'm reading The Last Theorem Sir
Arthur C. Clarke and Frederik Pohl. Pohl actually finished the novel,
after's Clarke's death, as one of Clarke's last wishes.
There
is a lot of math and science contained in the book, as is typical of
Clarke...the title refers to Fermat's last theorem, which has never been
satisfactorily solved, and is a main part of the plot.
Also,
humorously, Clarke refers to himself several times, but in such a way
that only those "in the know" would know :>) For instance, for many
years prior to his death, Clarke lived in Sri Lanka...at one point in
the story, the young protagonist has become somewhat of a celebrity, and
is complaining a bit about it, and he says something along the lines
of, "well, I'm not the only celebrity in Sri Lanka, what about that
famous writer ?"
Anyway, the novel's setting is just
slightly in the future, and includes many elements from other Clarke
novels, like the Space Elevator and aliens :>)
And, super-important to me - it has a happy ending !!
I take it this is a reread for you then? Very cool. I like the sci-fi element and really want to read some Philip K. Dick next.
ReplyDeleteYes, and LOVE Phillip K Dick !!!
ReplyDelete